Master Program on Electrical Engineering , Electronics Option
Electronics and Microelectronics Technology enables the design and implementation of various electronics systems ranging from consumer products (cell phones, game consoles, home appliances, etc), control system (industrial, medical or military), computing system and even the telecommunication infrastructures. These applications demand increasingly higher performance but lower prices. The mastery of this technology is proven to have a big role in the development of countries that adopt it, namely Japan, Korea and Taiwan and nowadays also followed by China, Malaysia and Thailand. The focus of program is in the design and implementation of these application and technology.
Indonesia has also made a policies to exploit economic value this technology. This is clearly seen in the national export target of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (Kemenperindag) for electronics sector in 2010 that amounts to USD 30 Billion. To accomplish the target, the department of Labor and Transmigration (Kemenakertrans) projects a demand of human resources for the sector of semi-conductor that reaches the number of 80000 people with the productivity of USD 50 thousand per head. If the demand for the experts is 5 % of the aforementioned total, the demand for national microelectronics Master in 2010 will reach 4000 people so that in the years 2004 up to 2010 the experts required is no lesser than 700 people in every year. This huge number shows the level of working opportunities in this sector.
The Electronic option in ITB focuses on building student abilities on:
- Design and Implementation of embedded system (real time system)
- Design of VLSI and System on Chip (SoC)/analog and digital IC
- Microelectronics processing, nanotechnology, and MEMS (Micro Electro-mechanical System)
The electronics option in Electrical Engineering Master Program gets support from microelectronics center (MC) of ITB. This center is the biggest ASEAN research institute in the field of electronics/microelectronics. The MC has massive facilities, projects, and industrial relation. Most of the student in this option are involved in this center or from industries/business related to this center. Many of the graduates work also on this industry.
Why choose to follow ITB Microelectronics Master Program?
Electronics option of Master Program on Electrical Engineering at ITB School of Electrical
Engineering and Informatics has been running since 1986. Some good reasons for choosing this program are as follows:
- Internship program in overseas especially Japan and France are offered for several selected students. The possibility is quite high as every year more than 25% of our students follow this program.
- There are big possibility to get scholarship, internship fund, and teaching/research assistant allowances
- Opportunity to continue the study up to doctor degree directly. It is possible that the master and doctoral degree is completed in four years.
- This option is supported by the microelectronics center of ITB. This center has a lot of facilities, research and industrial project, funding, and vast relation with industries. Many of the students and graduates involve on these projects and get financial support, experience, even job.
- Offering comprehensive program including:
a. Embedded and real time system
b. Device and microelectronics process,
c. Design of microelectronics (analog and digital)
- Having research and teaching collaboration with international institutions such as International Research Center for Telecommunication and Radar (IRCTR) Delf Holland, Kunieda Laboratory of Tokyo Institute of Technology Japan, MESA + Twente Holland, TIMA Laboratory, France, etc. These collaborations have opened the opportunity for the students to continue their study abroad.
- Collaborating with national and international industries, for example Atmel Semiconductor, LEN, Xilinx, ST Microelectronics, Fujitsu, Marvel, PINDAD. which actively give input on the curriculum to comply with the industrial needs.
Program curriculum is arranged for 3 semesters. First semester consists of 4 core courses, namely embedded system, intelligent instrumentation, VLSI Design for Signal processing, and Nanoelectronics. The students must choose also the one of the design projects courses in 2nd and choose other elective courses to suit their thesis topic. Thesis consists of 6 credits in 3rd semester.
The available courses are grouped according to the competence (1) device and process, (2) design of microelectronics, and (3) design of real time and embedded system (4) intelligent instrumentation.
CORE & ELECTIVE COURSES
- EL5141 Nanoelectronics
- EL5142 Intellegent Instrumentation System
- El5143 Design Methodology and Analysisof Embedded System
- EL5144 VLSI for Digital Signal processing
- EL5040 VLSI system design
- EL5041 IC Tchnology
- EL5042 Analog and Mixed Signal IC Design
- El5043 Embedded System Network
- EL5044 Avionics System
- EL5045 Analysis & Design of Digital IC
- EL5046 Special Topics of Electronics
- EL5240 Analog and Mixed Signal Electronics
- EL5241 RF Microelectronics
- EL5244 Instrumentation System
- EL5246 Embedded System Design
- EL6041 Microsystem Packaging
- EL6042 Cognitif and Multiagent System
- El6043 Fault Tolerant Instrumentation System
- EL6044 Real Time System
- EL6045 HW/SW codesign
- EL6046 A/D & D/A converter for SoC
- EL6047 Transceiver Radio IC Design
- EL6140 Avionics Instrumentation (PN)
- EL6141 Microsystem Design project
- EL6142 Intelligent System Design Project
- EL6143 Embedded System Design 2
- El6144 SoC Design project
- EL6145 Advance topics in Electronics
- EL6241 Quantum Physics
- EL6242 MEMS Technology
- EL6243 Sensor Sistem and Teknologi
- EL6244 Complex System Engineering
- EL6245 Software Engineering for Embedded System
- EL6246 FPGA based Embedded System
- El6247 SoC Design methodology
- EM5099 Research Methodology
- EM6099 Thesis
Supported by ITB microelectronic PPAU facilities, including :
(I) Clean class rooms with CVD microelectronic processing device, ion implantation, sputtering etc
(ii) Design suite for the design of integrated Synopsis and Altera Series
(iii) Various tools, instruments, board. The center has just acquiered multi million dollar tools on broadband telecommunication instruments
(iv) Publication access and microelectronics sector journal
All of our teaching staff are highly qualified and have PhD degree from various universities. Most of these staffs have experiences also in industry. List of the staffs:
- Adang Suwandi (Prof. ITB, Dr. ustl, France)
- Adi Indrayanto (PhD, UK)
- Arif Sasongko (Dr. Grenoble, France)
- Armein Z.R.Langi (PhD.Univ.Manitoba, Canada)
- Basuki R.Alam (PhD.Leigh Univ., United State)
- Budi Rahardjo (PhD. Univ. Manitoba, Canada)
- Eniman Y.Syamsuddin (PhD.UMIST, England)
- Irman Idris (Dr.Eng. TIT, Japan)
- Kastam Astami (PhD. Univ. Manchester, England)
- Mervin T. Hutabarat (PhD.UCL, England)
- Richard Mengko (Dr.Grenoble, France)
- Sarwono Sutikno (Dr. Eng TIT, Japan)
- Tati R. Mengko (Prof. Dr. Grenoble, France)
- Trio Adiono (Dr. Eng. TIT, Japan)
- Waskita Adijarto (Dr. ITB, Indonesia)
- Yusuf Kurniawan (Dr. ITB, Indonesia)
REQUIREMENTS, TEST & SCHOLARSHIP
The admission of applicants is conducted prior to the new academic year in May and July. This Program admits graduates from undergraduate (sarjana) Program of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Physics Engineering through tests that cover Test Potensi Akademik (TPA), Mathematics, Physics, Electrical series, electromagnetic fields, Fundamentals of Electronics, Fundamentals of Computer, Control Fundamentals & Logic Series, English. Graduates from Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Informatics can be admitted through matriculation program. A limited number of participants can obtain financial aid or living cost through the research activity or through the available scholarship in Electrical Engineering Department.
For information for the particular option (electronics option) can be addressed to Arif Sasongko at email@example.com.
General information Master Program on Electrical Engineering:
Sekolah Teknik Elektro & informatika (STEI)-ITB
Gedung Labtek VIII, Lt.2
Jl. Ganesha 10, Bandung 40132
Tel: (022)2502260 Fax: (022) 2534222
Information for admission including admission, admission form, TOEFL Test, TPA Test as well as scholarship may be obtained from:
Sekolah Pascasarjana ITB
Jl. Tamansari 64, Bandung 40132
Tel: (022) 2511495; (022) 2503659 Fax (022) 2503659